PC Jay - Two Week Sailing Adventure

Forum rules
This forum is for members to share their top hat sailing experiences, whether it be an interesting day sail, a coastal passage, or a journey across the oceans.
These experiences may be good, bad or ugly!, it is intended that we can learn from each other, & encourage each other to get out there & enjoy these wonderful yachts.

Re: PC Jay - Two Week Sailing Adventure

Postby saintpeter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 pm

I would give anything to have an aft/skeg-hung rudder. The steering on the standard Illingworth/Primrose design is the fundamental weak point of the TopHat.
saintpeter

Postby Phillip » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 pm

How do you mean Saintpeter, I find I can turn mine on a dime, even at slow speed.
Phillip.
SEAKA
A 1969 Mark 1

Home port is at Dunbogan on the Camden Haven Inlet, Laurieton NSW
Phillip
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 am

What a fantastic adventure Jakub, thanks for posting it, with pictures and video too!

I too have found the Mutton birds very friendly at The Broughton's, with birds flying into the mast and landing on the decks at night.

Jakub, I'm interested how you find the steering with your transom hung rudder downwind?, I think there would be less roll from side to side with the rudder further aft?
Cheers
Camden Haven River,
Mid Nth Coast, NSW

Order of the Albatross - 2011
Order of the Tipping Dinghy
Shaun

Postby Ianb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow Jacob! A really good story. It would make a great basis for an article in Cruising Helmsman. Shows how much fun and adventure can be had without being a gadzillion millionaire with a 50 ft modern yacht. They might even pay you for the article!

The other article I would love you to write is details of your fishing techniques. Clearly you are a wiz, and it would be most interesting to those of us who never manage to catch anything, even when the fish-finder/echo sounder is showing heaps of fish.

On the design issue of the stern mounted rudder, I think the gain in cockpit space would be benefit enough. However the other benefit could be less weather helm in a blow. Do you find this?
Ianb

Postby Jakub76 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for the enthusiastic replies.

As for the changed handling from the modifications I afraid I have not had the chance to compare with a stock TH. I can tell you though that I have very little steerage in reverse and weather helm is an issue especially in gusts on a broad reach. Is that the same with your stock THs?
Jakub76

Postby Democritus » Sat May 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Belatedly...well I just bought a 25 with Transom-hung rudder. It's in to have all the maintenance done in one (OUCH!!) hit.
:lol: Looking to discover whether others are known. Previous owner said 'made that way' Engine is Yanmar inboard.
Attachments
Tophat 25 aft with transom rudder.docx
(511.89 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Democritus

Previous

Return to Top Hat Voyages