PC Jay - Two Week Sailing Adventure

Forum rules
This forum is for members to share their top hat sailing experiences, whether it be an interesting day sail, a coastal passage, or a journey across the oceans.
These experiences may be good, bad or ugly!, it is intended that we can learn from each other, & encourage each other to get out there & enjoy these wonderful yachts.

Re: PC Jay - Two Week Sailing Adventure

Postby saintpeter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 pm

I would give anything to have an aft/skeg-hung rudder. The steering on the standard Illingworth/Primrose design is the fundamental weak point of the TopHat.
saintpeter

Postby Phillip » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 pm

How do you mean Saintpeter, I find I can turn mine on a dime, even at slow speed.
Phillip.
SEAKA
A 1969 Mark 1
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/seaka
http://skipr.net

Home port is at Dunbogan on the Camden Haven Inlet, Laurieton NSW
Phillip

Postby Shaun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 am

What a fantastic adventure Jakub, thanks for posting it, with pictures and video too!

I too have found the Mutton birds very friendly at The Broughton's, with birds flying into the mast and landing on the decks at night.

Jakub, I'm interested how you find the steering with your transom hung rudder downwind?, I think there would be less roll from side to side with the rudder further aft?
Cheers
"Blue Moon" MkIII Junkette rig,
Camden Haven River,
Mid Nth Coast, NSW

Order of the Albatross - 2011
Order of the Tipping Dinghy

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Someone's random Youtube comment
Shaun

Postby Ianb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow Jacob! A really good story. It would make a great basis for an article in Cruising Helmsman. Shows how much fun and adventure can be had without being a gadzillion millionaire with a 50 ft modern yacht. They might even pay you for the article!

The other article I would love you to write is details of your fishing techniques. Clearly you are a wiz, and it would be most interesting to those of us who never manage to catch anything, even when the fish-finder/echo sounder is showing heaps of fish.

On the design issue of the stern mounted rudder, I think the gain in cockpit space would be benefit enough. However the other benefit could be less weather helm in a blow. Do you find this?
Ianb

Postby Jakub76 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for the enthusiastic replies.

As for the changed handling from the modifications I afraid I have not had the chance to compare with a stock TH. I can tell you though that I have very little steerage in reverse and weather helm is an issue especially in gusts on a broad reach. Is that the same with your stock THs?
Jakub76

Postby Miker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Great story mate, really well done.

In relation to reverse steerage, yep, nothing doing really. Inboards get a little help from prop walk. I have a outboard on the stern bracket and can, if needed, turn the outboard to get really tight reverse steering. I actually towed my brothers speed boat into an L-shaped jetty at Akuna bay after he ran out of fuel. Must have looked a sight. 1982 Top Hat with 8hp Tohatsu towing a 20 foot Maxum with a 6 litre Mercruiser for 2km.....

Same with weather helm. Use the traveller when you can and spill a bit from the main, using the headsail to drive. Once the wind is up enough, it's all weather helm unless you reef, or go under headsail only. Up to 20 knots I can almost relieve the weather helm with traveller and vang, but after that......
Michael
"Dulcamara" - MKIII
Careel Bay, Pittwater
"Order of the Tipping Dinghy" 2017
Miker

Previous

Return to Top Hat Voyages