Potential Top Hat owner

Looking for information on Sailing Lake Macquarie?
Wanting to post information of Events or get together on Lake Macquarie?

Potential Top Hat owner

Postby Curryhouse » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Lake Macquarie Hatters,

I am looking at buying a small yacht suitable for lake and coastal sailing. A colleague who owned a Top Hat yacht for a number of years recommended a TH would be a good one to consider. Finding this forum and reading numerous posts from happy and satisfied TH owners has only further strengthened his recommendation. Whilst I have seen photos of THs, I have am yet to see one close-up. I was wondering if there may be an opportunity to meet up with one of you and have a look over your TH and chat about your experiences. I'm retired and live at Merewether. Over the last few years I have been crewing on a boat out of Newcastle sailing in club offshore races and overnight races. This has given me a basic level of sailing knowledge and a desire to take the next step to owning and skippering my own boat.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil
Periwinkle
Lake Macquarie
Curryhouse

Re: Potential Top Hat owner

Postby Troppo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 am

Hi Neil, I am way too far for you to check out my boat, Windchaser, but I am sure you will hear from someone closer. Definitely worth considering a Top Hat for lake and coastal cruising. Before I decided on Windchaser I thought I needed a 27 footer or something but the 25 feet of a Top Hat is very well designed, seaworthy and comfortable. Awesome boats.

troppo
Troppo

Postby Alyosius » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:30 am

G'day Neil, Galini is located in Tanilba Bay and I'm more than willing to show you over her if you would like.

I can also confirm their sea keeping abilities having brought her up from San Souci. About 2+ meter following seas and never any concern that it was beyond Galini's ability to cope.
——————————
Galini
1981 - Mk3
Nelson Bay
Alyosius

Postby Curryhouse » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Troppo. I'll keep you in mind when it gets too cold down here :)

Hi Alyosius, I was up your way during the week (well nearby anyway) as I was crewing on a boat in the first half of the Sail Port Stephens regatta. No silverware but the sailing was good and I got to see areas of Port Stephens I hadn't seen from the water before.

Thanks for the offer to look over your boat; that would be much appreciated. Let me know some dates/times that suit your schedule; I'm pretty flexible nowadays however I'll be away next Thursday through Monday.

Cheers, Neil
Neil
Periwinkle
Lake Macquarie
Curryhouse

Postby Alyosius » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:05 am

Hey Curryhouse,

I'm away with work for a couple of weeks, I'll send you a PM when I get back with some possible dates.

Regards Alyosius
——————————
Galini
1981 - Mk3
Nelson Bay
Alyosius

Postby Curryhouse » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks Alyosius. That works for me. If you're sailing, enjoy!!
Neil
Periwinkle
Lake Macquarie
Curryhouse

Postby Curryhouse » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:26 pm

So, a few months have passed since my original post re potential TH owner. Now I am a proud owner :) Found a Mk3 TH for sale through word of mouth. The previous owner used it as a 'live aboard' so it's no longer a traditionally fitted out TH. Previous owners have named the boat; 'N' Tails; Flotsam; and ESEL. I've named her Periwinkle. Located on a swing mooring adjacent to the Lake Macquarie Yacht Club. Only a short trip in the tender from the ramp but I'm making it look a lot harder than it needs to be. A one legged duck would be proud of my rowing style. Periwinkle has a relatively new mainsail and sail cover; three headsails (#1, #2 & #3) and a spinnaker. The iron sail is a 8hp Yanmar. I'm looking forward to spending some time sailing on the lake and hopefully meeting up with other TH owners on this forum.
Neil
Periwinkle
Lake Macquarie
Curryhouse

Postby Miker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Congratulations Curry,

Greg with Felicite is just near there too, he lives locally in Belmont. Bear is an ex-Hatter, with a lovely Swanson now, but is also pretty knowledgeable if you need any help. They don't charge much.... ;)

Enjoy the boat, you're in a great sailing area and there'll be plenty of places to explore.
Michael
"Dulcamara" - MKIII
Careel Bay, Pittwater
"Order of the Tipping Dinghy" 2017
Miker

Return to Lake Macquarie Hatters