Brisbane Top Hat Newbie buys Storm Petrel : )

Re: Brisbane Top Hat Newbie buys Storm Petrel : )

Postby Miker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Wow, I don't know what's gone on with Storm Petrel. I just spoke to Andrew and he can fill in all the details, but it certainly sounds like either the owner, or the surveyor weren't entirely up front. Having dealt with this broker before, I don't think it was anything he did, and he did make good on the deposit refund.

It appears there was no running rigging when Andrew arrived, even after he was told it was all there ready to go. It's a very strange set of circumstances to say the least. There were also a few other details that should have been covered in a survey, that weren't.

So, I've offered to look at anything he finds in Sydney, Pittwater or Botany Bay, and suggested he get in touch with Greg and Bear at Lake Mac if anything comes up for sale there. I've also offered to help deliver a boat some of the way, if he finds it down this way and hopefully others can help with various legs along the way. At least that way Andrew can be sure that he's got a few members from the forum here, who know a little more about Top Hats helping out.

There are two in Sydney and two in Lake Macquarie that are worth looking at. As well as the one Andrew's already seen in QLD, complete with shore power!
Michael
"Dulcamara" - MKIII
Careel Bay, Pittwater
"Order of the Tipping Dinghy" 2017
Miker

Postby Troppo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm

No running rigging? Ready to go? :o :o

Maybe she be half converted to junk rig? :?

Storm Petrel been badly neglected I am thinking. :cry:

I hate the expense involved with chasing up a possible boat only to find it does not match the expectations painted by the advertising.

Hopefully something will come up quickly for Andrew.

troppo
Troppo

Postby Magz1975 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:21 am

Well it's been an interesting couple of weeks guys looking for a Top Hat, learnt some lessons along the way but anyhow that's what it about, I might have found the one in Brisbane Lol. She is on boatpoint.com for 10 Grand so I have Barry Colson ( surveyour with a good rep) going over her and if he gives the all clear I will buy her on Thursday. I only ever wanted a solid and safe Top Hat not worried if she is in need of a paint/ antifoul was interested in a sound hull etc. And with Halyards and sheets : ) to sail away

So for $10 Grand it still leaves extra cash to play with etc on other cosmetic things. So hope all goes well. Thanks for the help guys and will keep you posted with Pics and updates.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-07-05-01-58-27.png
Screenshot_2017-07-05-01-58-27.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 118 times
Magz1975

Postby Troppo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 am

That's good news, Andrew.

I'm keen to hear how it goes for you.

troppo
Troppo

Postby Magz1975 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:29 am

Well we just bought the Top Hat and report came back and couldn't be happier have attached the surveyour report.
Attachments
#4571 Top hat 06 07 17-6.doc
(882 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Magz1975

Postby Troppo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 am

Congratulations on your purchase, Andrew!

The report is a long one. I felt by reading it I had good insight into the condition of the boat. I guess that is what the reports are supposed to do. She sounds a nice boat.

troppo
Troppo

Postby Magz1975 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Cheers Troppo.Barry Colson did a great job honest as well. Sailing her down to Wellington Point in QLD and then off to Pelican slipway for an antifoul funny time's ; )
Magz1975

Previous

Return to New Members Say Hi